Imágenes de páginas

had passed through the parish, and had with the day's rain, &c., weary and proceeded on their ponies to Lerwick, hungry; and not a little disappointed, the day being too stormy for the con that, after having accomplished all my gregation to assemble. Here I left other appointments, I should be com. Messrs. Ritchie and Danks, with a pony pelled to abandon niy work the last day. to assist them the following day, and Thus terminated a tour which embraced proceeded on foot toward Lerwick, a dis- the entire circuit of the islands, never tance of about fifteen miles. In this to be forgotten by me, nor by my young journey I had to ford the bourn into friend, Mr. Danks, who accompanied me. which one of our brethren had fallen the By forced marches, and by the assistance previous day, but which now presented of a gracious Providence, we the appearance of a rapid river, tumbling plished it; but He who gives strength over its rocky bed, being swollen by the according to our day, and holds the heavy rains. I succeeded, however, in waters in the hollow of his hand, graci. getting over without being swept away ously aided and preserved us. To his by the stream, and reached home in name be all the praise. safety late at night, thoroughly drenched




August 20th, 1843.-At Keighley, Elizabeth some of the last of them, been a member of the Walker, in the fifty-sixth year of her age. She society. In her religious experience, she humwas truly brought to God in 1822, and shortly bly trusted in Christ, though a natural timidity after sought aud found a still deeper work of and fear sometimes hindered her religious enjoygrace, the possession of which she exemplified ments. Her conduct was unblamable. She did through many years of severe affliction, in a life justly, loved mercy, and walked humbly with of holy zeal, and uncomplaining submission to God. She was liberal in supporting the cause of the will of God. A short time before her death, religion, and attentive to the wants of the poor. she said, "I am on the Rock, and have a solid She has bequeathed half her small property to peace."

W. W. charitable objects, in acknowledgment that her

all of temporal and spiritual comfort came froin Oct. 5th.–At Thuing, in the Bridlington Cir

God. In addition to several bequests to the cuit, aged fifty-two, Mrs. Mary Braithwaite. In chapel, Sunday-school, and poor, of Dudley, and early life she experienced a deep conviction of to other chapels in the Circuit, she has left £50 sin, and, for three months, sought the Lord sor each to the Wesleyan Preachers' Annuitant Sorowing. Under the ministry of the word, she ciety, and to the Auxiliary Fund. She died in was enabled to find joy and peace through be the peace of faith in Christ.

J. E. lieving. For twenty-five years she was a con. sistent and exemplary member of the Wesleyan March 28th.-At Lumley, in the Durham Cir. society. Her piety was deep, and her whole cha cuit, Mr. Thomas Cowey, in the six tieth year of racter evinced that she lived under the abiding his age. His death was occasioned by the falling influence of sacred principle. When informed of coal in a mine, where he was at work, on that her sickness would be unto death, she dis March 18th. He joined the Methodists in 1801, covered no alarm, but said, “ All is right.” As and very soon obtained mercy through faith in the hour of her departure drew nigh, her peace the blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, and gave seemed to flow even in a fuller stream. She rested evidence of the change wrought in his soul, by a on the divine promises, often repeated verses from holy life. A few years afterwards he was inher favourite hymns, and expired almost imme trusted with the care of a class, and was very diately after saying, “ Come, Lord Jesus, como useful in the office ; for he was a man of prayer, quickly!"

H. B. B. who studied holy Scripture, and watched with

great care over the several members of his Dec. 31st.-At Keighley, Mrs. Wignall, in the charge. He had been for some time prior to his thirty-seventh year of her age. She was brought death increasingly alive to good things, as if he to a saving knowledge of the truth as it is in had a presentiment that he might be taken sudJesus, when very young, and steadily adorned denly. After the calamity befell him, (at all the doctrine of God her Saviour to the end of lucid intervals,) he was praising, blessing, and life. For several years slie sustained, with great thanking his heavenly Father; and also looking usefulness to a number of young persons, the to Jesus the Author and Finisher of his faith. office of Class-Leader. Her last affliction, which In this state he passed through death triumphant was severe, was borne with Christian fortitude, home.

J. D. and her end was peace.

W. W.

March 29th.-At Erhurst, in the Sandhurst Feb. 12th, 1844.-At Dudley, Miss Ann Knight, Circuit, Mr. Benjamin Boots, aged seventyaged sixty-eight. For many years she had regu. seven. He had been a consistent member of the larly attended the Wesleyan ministry, and, for Wesleyan-Methodist society for upwards of fifty

years, a useful Class-Leader for more than forty, and a faithful Superintendent of the Staplecross Sunday-school twenty. He was a man of sterling piety, a lover of all good men, but was especially attached to Wesleyanism and its Ministers. His death was sudden. Having engaged in family worship, he retired to his room somewhat indisposed. His daughter soon after went to see hiin, perceived a change in his countenance, and instantly called her husband; but before his approach, the spirit of the man of God bad fled to the realms of bliss.

D. N.

twenty-three years; and, during the last twelve years of his life, an acceptable and useful Class Leader. His life was closed most unexpectedly. lie and his daughter were intending to go by railway to London, for the purpose of being at the Missionary Meeting at Exeter-Hall. While waiting at the Ashford station, he pointed to the time-table, and while mentioning the train by which he designed to return, he fell down, grumDed for a moment, and died. He was greatly respected by all who knew him; and his previous character evidences that his death, tbough sudden, was safe.

T. H.

April 14th.-At Leadenham, in the Sleaford Circuit, Mr. William Weavor ; who had been a consistent member of the Wesleyan society for twenty-seven years, during several of which he usefully sustained the office of Class-Leader. lle was a peaceable, prudent man, well acquainted with the holy Scriptures, diligent in his attendance on the means of grace, and faithful in the discharge of his duties. His last aftliction was protracted, and served to develope his Christian character. His mind was preserved in great peace and comfort ; and he continued to repose a cheerful confidence in Christ, until his happy spirit took its flight.

W. G. D.

May 31.–At Neveport, in the lowden Circuit, aged eighty-seven, Mr. John Bowler. His first religious impressions were occasioned by the ministry of the late Rev. Joseph Milner, A.M., in Hull. He joined the Wesleyan society in 1784, and received his first society-ticket from the late Rev. George Holder. He had been up wards of fifty years a Class-Leader, to which office he was appointed by the late Rev. Joseph Benson. He pursued the even tenor of his way, amidst diversitied trials and difficulties, supported by the power of divine grace; and maintained an unblemished moral character for sixty years. His end was peace.

C. R.

April 15th.--At Baldersby, in the Thirsk Circuit, aged eighty-six years, Mr. George Dixon. When about thirty-seven years of age, he was brought to repentance towards God; and, through faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, received the remission of his sins. He immediately gave himself to the church by the will of God, and continued a steady member of the Wesleyan society for half a century. His confidence in God was strong, and his piety active and cheerful.

He sympathized with the poor in their sorrow; and, on one occasion, when afflicted, he requested that a gift offered him by a kind friend, might be sent to a neighbour, who was, he stated, more needy than himself. In his last illness, his faith continued firin, till he died to live a life of glory.

J. W.

May 3d. -- At Bradford, (Wilts.,) aged seventy, Mrs. Betty Peters; who had been a member of the Wesleyan society more than fifty-six years She was truly converted in her youth; and was, by divine grace, kept " faithful to the end." During her last affliction she was divinely supported. Not long before her death, indeed, she had a severe inward conflict; but it was short, and ended in bappy triumph. A friend asked her, a few hours before she died, what was the state of her mind. She said, “I have no fear: all is calm and serene." Thus she continued to the last.

J. C.

May 16th.–At Sandgate, in the Dover Circuit, where she was on a visit, Miss A. Webb, daughter of Mr. Henry Webb, of Sevenoaks, aged twenty. She had been a member of the Wesleyan society about six years. She was truly converiod to God, and lived in the enjoyment of the bless ings of salvation. She was an active and useful Collector for our Missions, a Distributor of reigious tracts, and Sabbath-school Teacher, In her short affliction, her soul was happy in God, and her prospects were bright and unclouded.

J. C.

April 26th. --At Hull, (in the house of her grandaughter, Mrs. Meggitt,) Mrs. Sarah lendrie, mother of the late Mrs. Edward Ilare, aged ninety-three. She was convinced of sin, and drawn by the Spirit, during a revival of religion at Ripon, Yorkshire; and in a meeting, while a faithful servant of the family was praying, the love of God was manifested in her soul, and she found peace. She joined the Wesleyan society in 1792; and, to the day of her death, continued a faithful and devout follower of Christ. Her affliction was long and severe: she was, however, enabled to bear her sufferings with Christian resignation. Her faculties continued unimpaired to the last; and her memory was richly stored with divine truth, so that her quotations from it were abundant and appropriate. As her strength declined, her faith waxed stronger, until her happy spirit left the tenement of clay.

R. T.


May 21st.-At Bring, in his twenty-second year, Mr. John Roberts. His first religious impressions were occasioned by his attendance at a Sabbath-school, and these issued in his early conversion to God; of which change luis whole deportment gave consistent evidence. The illness which terminated his mortal course, was but of short duration. His mind was kept all the time stayed upon God; and in the hour of nature's dissolution, he was enabled to rest on the atoning sacrifice of Christ, and thus died in the sacred peace in which he had lived.

J. D.

April 27th.-At Ashford, Mr. John Ifield, of Hain-street, in the Tenterden Circuit, aged sixty-seven. He had been a steady and consist. ent member of the Wesleyan society upwards of

May 23d.-At Bradford, Yorhshire, Mr.

tion, to the house of God, for evening worship, when an individual saw him stagger and fall. He hastened to raise him up, and medical assistance was almost immediately obtained; but life was extinct. He had been instantaneously called into eternity. Few men, probably, would have been found more blessedly prepared than himself for such a sudden removal,

R. N.

Michael Braithwaite, aged fifty-two. From the time of his conversion to God, it may, with truth, be said of him, that "he feared God above many, and walked uprightly, and worked righteousness, and spoke the truth in his heart." For many years he sustained, with great acceptability and usefulness, the offices of ClassLeader and Local Preacher. Though unedu. cated, his mind was naturally discriminating and strong; admirably qualifying him for the discharge of the duties of his station, both in the church and in the world. As a Class-Leader, he was animated by an ardent desire to promote the divine glory, in the spiritual good of his menibers. Hence be was sedulously attentive to our rule requiring weekly visitation, and private conference. Nor was this unrewarded. The attachment between himself and his class was reciprocal ; and all united with him had a just sense of their privilege in being provided with a Leader of such ability, affection, and faithfulness For more than twelve months before his death, he was harassed by a variety of distressing synaptoms. His disease continued to baltie his very skilful medical attendant till the end of May, when he breathed his last, in “ the full assurance of faith."

W. S.

May 28th.--At Leegrave, in the Dunstable Cir. euit, Mrs. Sarah Partridge, wife of Mr. William Partridge, in the fifty-second year of her age. She had been a member of the Methodist society about twenty-four years ; during which she walked in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost. Her last illness was protracted and severe ; but she bore it with fortitude and patience. In the hour of death, ber language was expressive of the preciousness of Christ to her soul, and of her readiness for the solemn change.

W. W.

May 23d.-At York, in her twenty-third year, Eliza Coultas, fourth daughter of the Rev. William Coultas, of Malton. Her disposition was kind and affectionate. Her conviction of sin was powerful, her conversion to God clear, and her conduct consistent with her profession. She had been a member of the Wesleyan-Methodist society near seven years. After a painful and protracted affliction, which she bore with calmDess, and at times filled with holy joy, she greetly fell asleep in Jesus, talking about her heavenly home almost to the last moment.

W. C.

June 1st.-At Sherburn, in the Scarborough Circuit, aged seventy-five, Mr. Thomas Marston, having maintained an unblemished reputation, as a member of the Wesleyan church, for more than half a century. In early life, he was deeply convinced of sin ; but he did not find rest to his soul till after nearly two years of sorrow. He long and usefully sustained the offices of ClassLeader and Chapel-Steward. His disposition was retiring and modest ; but he was faithful in reproving sin, admonishing youth, and visiting and relieving the sick and needy. For a considerable time his health had been declining; but his death came very unexpectedly. He died as he sat composed in his chair. Not long before this he had said, “ I am happy; very happy."

J. W.

May 23d.--At North Shields, Mr. Thomas Moody, aged sixty-two years. About forty-four years ago, he was born again; and from that period to the time of his death, he followed the Lord fully. His attachment to Wesleyan Methodism was strong. His early and punctual attendance on the means of grace was worthy of imitation, and his profiting appeared unto all. The office of Class-Leader, as well as others to which he was appointed in the church of Christ, he filled with great faithfulness. His death was sudden; but he was found in the Lord, and he DOW rests from his labours.

8. W.

June 2d.--At Illingworth, in the Halifax Cir. cuit, Mr. Luke Clayton, who had been a member of the Wesleyan society fifty, and a Local Preacher nearly forty, years. He was at Halifax market on the day previous to his death, and on the Sunday morning was preparing to take his Sabbath appointment. He had often been employed in the interment of the dead in the burying-ground connected with Illingworth chapel, where his remains have now their restingplace; and only a few days before, standing on the margin of the grave, he spoke of his departure as being probably at no great distance, and also of the joyous hope with which he anticipated it. He died suddenly, but safely.

G. T.

May 2th.-At Leeds, in the sixty-eighth year of his age, James Musgrave, Esq., Alderman and Magistrate of the borough. As a fuller notice will most likely be given of this respected gentleman, it will be sufficient now to say, that he had been a member of the Wesleyan society forty-six years; during which time he had occupied, with great ability and success, some of the most important offices connected with that branch of the church to which he belonged, and to which he was, on principle, firmly attached. His departure was solemnly unexpected. He had attended the morning prayer-meeting, and korenoon service; and was proceeding, by a circuitous route, for the benefit of quiet medita

June 5th.-At Long-Stratton, in the NewBuckenham Circuit, Mrs. Mary Claxton, who had been an humble and consistent member of the Wesleyan society fifty-one years. In early life, when favoured with worldly prosperity, she liberally and affectionately entertained the Ministers of the Gospel; and when subsequently called to endure the privations of widowhood and poverty, she showed her unshaken attachment to the cause of religion, by early and constant attendance upon all the means of grace. During much of her final affliction, she was delirious ; but her lucid intervals were filled up with prayer

and praise. Ler life was blameless, and her end was pence.

J. D.

sustained the offices of Class-Leader and Circuit. Bteward. For several months past his health had failed; but he was preserved in a happy frame of mind, and enabled meekly to suffer the divine will. A few days before he died, he said, (to Mr. Powell, who was conversing with him on the state of his mind,) " For forty and six years I have known Christ to be my Saviour, my King, my Comforter, and my all." His end was very peaceful.

R. G.

June 7th.-At Sevenoaks, in her eighty-first year, Mrs. Sarah Harrison, an old disciple; hav. ing been a member of the Wesleyan society for sixty years, and never having omitted meeting her Minister to receive her quarterly-ticket, ex. cept prevented by sickness. In 1809 she was left a widow, with eleven dependent children; but, doing ber best, she trusted in her God, and he greatly honoured her faith. She finished her course well; and, though her sufferings were great and protracted, she said, “I find all the promises sure, and his grace is sufficient for me.' This was her language not long before death ; and in this peaceful frame she departed.

J. C.

June 7th.--In the Midsomer-Norton Circuit, Mr. Samuel House, aged twenty-eight. He had been a consistent member of the Wesleyan society for about ten years, and for five an acceptable and useful Local Preacher. He was a young man of great promise. His end was peace.

J. F.

June 14th. ---At Driffield, Mr. William Linds ley, aged seventy-two. He had been forty.seret years a consistent member of the Wesleran Methodist society, and several years a Lol Preacher, and a diligent and successful Visitor of the sick. At the commencement of his religious course, his Christian principles were severely tried by his employer: he was told, that unless he would perform certain labour on the Sabbath, he must leave his situation. He chose rather to suffer than sin, and thus placed himself under the especial providence of God When visited by his Ministers and friends during his affliction, his uniform testimony was, “ Jeans is precious." His faith rested on the stode ment of Christ, and he died in great peace He was an humble, devoted Christian.

8. D.

June 7th. At Blyth, Mary Taylor, in her twentieth year. Twelve months ago she joined the Wesleyan society, and sought and found peace with God. Her mother having passed to heaven, the care of the family devolved upon her: this, joined with extreme timidity and constitutional feebleness, greatly diminished her joy; but in her severe and protracted sufferings she found again "the pearl of great price," felt happy in the love of God, and passed to the higher happiness of heaven.

R. T.

June 17th.-At Ashborne, Mrs. Mary Smith, aged fifty-seven. She was convinced of sin carts in life, under the Wesleyan ministry, and imple diately joined the society, and soon found peace with God. For twenty-eight years she bonoured God and his cause, by humble, active, and truly consistent piety. The prosperity of Zion 73 her joy. Her affliction was long, and often fers severe ; but the grace of God was magnitied in her, for patience had its perfect work. She com templated the approach of death with joyful hope, and at last died with the praise of God upon her lips.

H. D.

June 13th. At North-Walsham, Mr. John Dyball, aged seventy-two; having been a sincerely-attached member of the Wesleyan society about forty-six years; during many of wbich he


O now profoundly tranquil is the peace

Of him whose mind is stay'd, my God, on thee !
The storm may come, and earthly hopes may cease,

And all that once was full of joy may be
Lost, and for ever; but while he may see

Thine own directing, let the storm beat on ;
It will not pass unheeded : but shall he

Tremble and murmur, upon whom hath shone,
From the glad Sun of Righteousness, a ray,

Showing the path-way to a home above,
Where that same hand, ere long, shall wipe away

His every tear, which now doth smite in love
No; from his heart he prays, “ Thy will be done!
And even in grief can feel, thy will and his are one.

* From "Songs from the Parsonage."

MISSIONARY NOTICES, Relating principally to the FOREIGN Missions carried on under the



NEW-ZEALAND, AND THE AFFAIRS OF THE “TRITON.” Our friends will learn with much satisfaction that, by the good providence of God, the Rev. Walter Lawry, the General Superintendent of the New-Zealand Mission, has safely arrived in Sydney, on his way to his destination at Auckland, in New Zealand. Letters have already been received from the Missionaries in New-Zealand, expressing their pleasure and thankfulness for the arrangement which places Mr. Lawry at Auckland, and gives him the general superintendence of the Mission. Great advantages are expected to result both to the Missionaries themselves, who will thus have an acknowledged point of union, and to the very extensive Missions among the natives and the new settlers.

Mr. Lawry's report concerning the “ Triton” is confirmatory of the representations which have been previously made. She is not large enough for her designed purpose, not being of sufficient capacity to take, at one voyage, the stores which are required for the year in the Friendly and Feejee Islands; and thus the islands have been only partially supplied, whilst New-Zealand has not had a fair share of her services. However, as Mr. Lawry says, “ All agree, first, that the Missions are most essentially served by the coming to and fro of the • Triton,' so far as regularity, and the comfort of the Missionaries, are concerned; and, secondly, that the expense would have been much heavier, had the work been done by 'line' or 'charter.'”

This subject occupies the serious attention of the Committee. To purchase a larger vessel at present would scarcely accord with the plans of strict retrenchment and rigid economy on which they feel bound to act for the current year, and perhaps for succeeding years ; while at the same time it is evident, that the Missions would be materially advantaged by a vessel of larger size. Extract of a Letter from the Rev. Waller Lawry, General Superintendent of the

New Zealand Missions, dated Sydney, February 2011, 1844. By God's mercy, we are come, as a

the collections have been satisfactory, family, in safety, health, and peace, to considering the times : they amounted this land, on our way to New Zealand, to about £120; and the actual debt on for which we expect to sail to-morrow the premises, it is hoped, when all shall morning. Here all is in a state of de. bave been wound up, will be only £1,100. pression and wretchedness in regard to By the kindness of the Chairman of this trade and commerce ; but in the devas- District, the brethren have met me, and tating storm, our people seem very much concluded that John Watsford and David to have escaped from the desolation Hazlewood are well fitted in all respects which has spread all around them. I for our work in the Feejee Islands, and have engaged in the services of the open- they will be so reported accordingly in ing of York-street chapel, Sydney, which their next District Minutes. I have has cost nearly £6,000.

They think every reason to approve most cordially Vol. XXII. Third Series. August, 1844.

3 C

« AnteriorContinuar »