« AnteriorContinuar »
TABLE OF CONTENTS.
Thomas Lincoln builds a boat. — Floats down to the Ohio. — Boat capsizes. -
Lands in Perry County, Indiana. — Selects a location. Walks back to
- Settles between the two Pigeon Creeks. - Gentryville. - Selects a site.
Dennis Hanks. - Lincoln builds a cabin. State of the country.
goods and chattels. — Her surprise at the poverty of the Lincoln cabin. -
Tenderness for animals. The last of school. - Abe
- No religious opinions. — How he behaved at home. — Touching recital
» in the field. — Cruelly maltreated by his father.
· Would not be slighted. - His satires. — Songs and chronicles. — Gen-
The site of New Salem. — The village as it existed. The first store. - Num-
ber of inhabitants. - Their houses. - Springfield. — Petersburg. – Mr.
Offutt's business gone to ruin. The Black Hawk War. - Black Hawk crosses
the Mississippi. - Deceived by his allies. — The governor's call for
His magnanimity. — Care of his men. Dispute with a regular officer.
Results of the canvass. — An opening in business. — The firm of Lincoln &
Berry. — How they sold liquor. What Mr. Douglas said. — The store a
- The credit system.
company. - Retires to the country. - Bowlin Greene. – Mr. Lincoln's
- Ab. Trent. — Mr. Lincoln as a peacemaker. — His great strength.
Mr. Lincoln takes his seat in the Legislature. Schemes of internal improve-
ment. — Mr. Lincoln a silent member. - Meets Stephen A. Douglas.
- Struggle to amend the Constitution. - The “black code.”. Death