« AnteriorContinuar »
11. Who was Christ's supposed father?--Joseph, son of Heli. Luke iii. 23.
12. Who was his mother !--The Virgin Mary. Matt. i. 18-21.
13. What proof have we that Joseph was not the real father of Christ ? — Because it is said, “ The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee : therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God. · Luke i. 30-35.
14. What prophecy was fulfilled by Christ's being born of a virgin ?- That of Isaiah: “Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call his name Immanuel. Isa. vii. 14.
15. In what one point only was Christ different in his human nature from our's ?-He was born without sin. Heb. ii, 16, 17; iv. 15.
16. What human nature then had Christ?The same which Adam had before the fall ; not that corrupt nature which we all have now.
17. What name is given to Christ by St. Paul in consequence ?-The last Adam. 1 Cor. xv. 45,
18. What was his type in consequence under the law ?--A lamb without blemish. Exod. xii. 3-5.
19. By what peculiar title does John the Baptist announce him to the Jews, in allusion to this type ?~The Lamb of God. John i. 29.
20. And in what terms does the apostle Peter speak of him, in allusion to this same type ?--A lamb without blemish and without spot. i Pet. i. 18, 19.
21. Was Christ exempt from temptation as well as from sin ?-No: he was tempted in the wilderness ;
and St. Paul tells us, “ He was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.” Matt. iv. 1 ; Heb. iv. 15.
22. Is temptation then in itself a sin ?-No; because Christ was tempted in all points like as we are, yet he was without sin.
23. When only are evil thoughts and temptations sinful ?-When we give way to them, and
24. How long was Christ tempted in the wilderness ?-Forty days and forty nights. Matt. iv. 2.
25. What yearly scene of humiliation and fasting does our church observe to commemorate this temptation of Christ's ?-The forty days of Lent.
26. What is the meaning of the word Lent?It signifies spring, being an old Saxon word; so that Lent signifies the Spring Fast.
27. Was there anything in Moses's history answering to this fasting and temptation of Christ?
-Yes; Moses was in the mount forty days and forty nights. Exod. xxiv. 18.
28. Who announced the birth of Christ to Mary ?--The angel Gabriel. Luke i. 26-33.
29. What festival does our church hold in commemoration of this event ?—The 25th of March, commonly called Lady-day,
30. Relate the circumstances of the Annunciation ?Luke i. 26-28.
31. What is said of Mary's feelings on this occasion ?-She was troubled at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be. Luke i. 29.
32. In what terms did the angel encourage her ?-Fear not, Mary, &c. Luke i. 30, 31.
33. Did Mary then believe, or not?-Yes. Luke i. 38.
34. Why was the name of Jesus given to our Saviour ?-Because he saves his people from their sins. Matt. i. 21.
35. Where was Joseph and Mary's ordinary place of residence ?--Nazareth. Matt. ii. 23.
36. Then how came Jesus to be born at Bethlehem ?-Because there was an order that every one should go to his own city to be taxed, and Joseph belonged to that city. Luke ii. 1-6.
37. When Christ was born, was it announced in any remarkable manner to the people in the neighbourhood of Bethlehem ?-It was announced to the shepherds, who were keeping their flocks by night. Luke ii. 8.
38. Relate all about it? --Luke ii. 8-14.
39. Was the circumstance of Christ's birth made known to any persons more remote ?-Yes ; it was made known to the wise men of the east, who came accordingly to Jerusalem. Matt. ii. 1.
40. By what means was it made known to them ?-By his star in the east. Matt. ii. 2.
41. What prophecy led these wise men to take such notice of the star ? -That of Balaam : “I shall see him, but not now; I shall behold him, but not nigh; there shall come a star out of Jacob, and a sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab, and destroy all the children of Sheth.” Num. xxiv. 17.
42. When the wise men got to Jerusalem, how were they guided to the exact place where the child Jesus was?—The star which had gone before them in their journey stood over the house where the child was. Matt. ii. 9.
43. Was it a real star, or only a fiery meteor like a star ?--It was only a fiery meteor.
41. What proof is given that it could not be so high as the stars ?--The star pointed out the particular house ; and we are sure we could not discern a common star resting over any one particular house.
45. What did the wise men do when they found the child Jesus ?- They fell down and worshipped him; and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh. Matt. ii. 11.
46. By what title did the wise men inquire for Christ?—King of the Jews. Matt. ii. 2.
47. Who was king of Judea at this time?Herod. Matt. ii. 1.
48. What effect had this errand of the wise men on Herod's mind ?-He was troubled. Matt. ii. 3.
49. What made Herod so troubled ?-Because he was king; and he feared that Jesus Christ was born to be king in his stead.
50. Was Jesus Christ born to be an earthly king ?-No; he said, “My kingdom is not of this world," &c. John xviii. 36.
51. What means did Herod take to find out where the child Jesus was ?-He sent messengers to find out where the child was, under the pretence of wishing to go himself and worship him. Matt. ii. 7, 8.
52. When the wise men had found the child, did they tell Herod where he was ?-No.
53. Why did they not tell Herod ?- They were warned of God in a dream, that they should not return to Herod. Matt. ii. 12.
54. What reason did Herod give to the wise men for his wishing to find the child Jesus?Because he wished to go and worship him. Matt. ii. 8.
55. Was that his real reason ?-No.