« AnteriorContinuar »
Orasmuch as many have taken in hand te
set forth in Order a Declaration of those F
Things which are most SURELY BELIEF
ED among us, 2. Even as they delivered them unto us, who from the Beginning were EYE-WITNESSES, and Ministers of the Word :
3. It seemed good to me alfo, having had perfect Understanding of all Things from the very first, to write unto thee in Order, most excellent Theophilus,
4. That thou mightest know the CERTAINTY of those Things wherein thou hast been instructed. 5. THERE was in the Days of Herod the King of
Fidea, a certain Priest named Zacharias, of the Course of Abia : and his wife was of the Daughters of Af!ron, and her Name was Elisabeth.
6. And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the Commandments and Ordinances of the Lord, blameless.
7. And they had no Child, because that Elisabeth was barren, and they both were now well stricken in Years.
8. And it came to pass, that while he executed the Priest's Office before God in the Order of his Course,
9. According to the Custom of the Priests Office, his Lot was to burn Incense when he went into the Temple of the LORD.
10. And the whole Multitude of the People were praying without, at the Time of Incenfe.
11. And there appeared unto him an Angel of the Lord, standing on the right side of the Altar of Incense.
12. And when Zacharias faw him, he was troubled, and Fear fell upon him.
13. But the Angel said unto him, Fear not Zacharias: for thy Prayer is heard ; and thy Wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a Son, and thou shalt call his Name John.
14. And thou shalt have Joy and GLADNESS, and many shall rejoice at his Birth.
15. For he shall be great in the Sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither Wine nor strong Drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his Mother's Womb.
16. And many of the Children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God.
17. And he shall go before Mal. iv. 5. Behold, I will send him in the Spirit and Power you Elijah the Prophet, before the of Elias, to turn the Hearts Coming of the great and dreadful
Day of the LORD). of the Fathers to the Chil 6. And he shall turn the Heart dren, and the Disobedient to of the Fathers to the Children, and the Wisdom of the Juft, to Fathers, lett I come and Imite the
the Heart of the Children to their make ready a People prepar- Earth with a Curse. ed for the Lord.
18. And Zacharias said unto the Angel, Whereby shall I know this ? For I am an old Man, and my Wife well ftricken in Years.
19. And the Angel answering, said unto him, I am Gabriel, that stand in the Presence of God; and am fent to speak unto thee, and to shew thee these glad Tidings.
20. And behold, thou shalt be dumb, and not able to fpeak, until the Day that these Things Niall be performed, because thou believest not my Words, which mall be fulfilled in their Seafon.
21. And the People waited for Zacharias, and marvelled that he tarried so long in the Temple.
22. And when he came out, he could not speak unto them : and they perceived that he had seen a Vision in the Temple : for he beckned unto them, and remained Speechless.
23. And it came to pass, that as soon as the Days of his Ministration were accomplished, he departed to his
24. And after those Days his Wife Elisabeth conceived, and hid her self five Months, saying,
25. Thus hath the Lord dealt with me in the Days wherein he looked on me, to take away my Reproach
26. And in the fixth Month, the Angel Gabriel was sent from God, unto a City of Galilee, named Nazareth.
29. To a VIRGIN espoused to a Man whose Name was Joseph, of the House of David; and the Virgin's Name was Mary.
28. And the Angel came in unto her, and said, HAIL thou that art highly favoured, the LORD is with thee: blessed art thou among Women.
29. And when she saw him, she was troubled at his Saying, and cast in her Mind what manner of Salutation this should be.
30. And the Angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary : for thou haft found Favour with God. 21.
And behold, thou shalt conceive in thy Womb, and bring forth a Son, and shalt call his Name JESU S.
32. He shall be Great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God shall give unto him the THRONE of his Father David.
33. And he shall REIGN over the House of Jacob for Psalın xlv. 6. Thy THRONE, O
Gob, is for ever and ever : The EVER, and of his KINGDOM
SCEPTRE of thy KINGDOM is a there shall be no END.
right Sceptre. 34. Then said Mary unto Psal. xciii. 2. Thy THRONE is the Angel, How shall this established of old, thou art from be, feeing I know not a Man?
Psal. cxlv. I. They shall speak 35. And the Angel answer- of the Glory of thy KINGDOM, ed and said unto her, The and talk of thy power. Holy Ghost hall come of Men his mighty A&ts, and the
12. To make known to the Sons upon thee, and the Power glorious Majesty of his Kingof the HIGHEST Thall overshadow
shadow thee : Therefore also
13. Thy KINGDOM is an EVERthat Holy Thing which Shall LASTING KINGDOM, and thy Dobe born of thee, Thall be cal- MINION endureth throughout all
Generations. led the Son of God.
Rev. xi. 15. And there were great 36. And behold, thy Cousin Voices in Heaven, saying, "The Elisabeth, she hath alsocon- KINGDOMS of this world are beceived a Son in her old Age: and of his Chrifi ; and he shall
come the KINGDOMS of our Lord, and this is the sixth Month REIGN for ever and ever. with her, who was called Barren.
37. For with God nothing shall be impossible.
38. And Mary faid, Behold, the Handmaid of the Lord, be it unto me according to thy Word. And the Ahgel departed from her.
39. And Mary arose in those Days, and went into the Hill-Country with hafte, into a City of Juda,
40. And entred into the House of Zacharias, and faluted Elisabeth.
41. And it came to pass, that when Elisabeth heard the Salutation of Mary, the Babe leaped in her Womb : and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost.
42. And he fpake out with a loud Voice, and said, Blessed art thou among Women, and bleffed is the Fruit of thy Womb.
43. And whence is this to me, that the Mother of my Lord should come to me ?
44. For lo, as soon as the Voice of thy Salutation founded in mine Ears, the Babe leaped in my Womb for Jox.
49. And blessed is she that BELIEVED : for there shall be a Performance of those Things which were told her from the Lord.
46. And Mary said, My Soul doth MAGNIFY the Lord, 47. And my Spirit hath REJOICED in God my SA
48. For he hath regarded the low Estate of his Handmaiden: For behold, from henceforth all Generations Soall call me Blessed.
49. For he that is Mighty bath done to me great Things, and Hoty is his Name.
50. Ang bis MERCY is on them that Fear him, from Generation to Generation.
51. He bath Mewed Strength with his Arm, he hath Scattered the Proud in the Imagination of their Hearts.
52. He bath put down the Mighty from their Seats, and exalted them of low Degree.
53. He hath filled the Hungry with good Things, and the Rich he hath sent empty away.
54. He hath HOLPEN bis Servant Ifrael, in remembrance of his MERCY.
55. Ás be spake to our Fathers, to Abraham, and to his Seed for ever.
56. And Mary abode with her about three months, and returned to her own House.
57. Now Elisabeth's full Time came, that she should be delivered ; and she brought forth a Son.
58. And her Neighbours and her Cousins heard how the Lord had showed great Mercy upon her ; and they rejoiced with her.
59. And it came to pass, that on the eighth Day they came to circumcise the Child; and they called him žacherias, after the Name of his Father.
60. And his Mother answered and said, Not fo ; but he shall be called fohn.
61. And they said unto her, There is none of thy Kindred that is called by this Name.
62. And they made Signs to his Father, how he would have him called.
63. And he asked for a Writing-Table, and wrote, faying, His Name is John. And they marvelled all.
64. And his Mouth was opened immediately, and his Tongue loosed, and he spake, and praised God.
65. And Fear came on all that dwelt round about them: and all these Sayings were noised abroad throughout all the Hill Country of Fudee. 66. And all they that heard them, laid them
in their Hearts, saying, What manner of Child shall this be? And the Hand of the Lord was with him.
67. And his Father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Ghost, and prophefied, saying, 68. Bleffed be the Lord
(a) 1Sam. ii. 8. The Pillars of the God of Israel, for he hath Earth are the Lord's, and he hath VISITED and REDEEMED his fct the World upon them.
9. He will keep the Feet of his People,
SAINTS, and the Wicked fall be 69. And(a) hath raised up an filent in Darkness ; for by Strength Horn of SALVATION for US,
shall no Man prevail. in
10 The ADVERSARIES of the Lord shall be broken to pieces :