« AnteriorContinuar »
off, even as many as the Lord Chrift; not by Water only, but by
Water and Blood: And it is the our God shall CALL.
Spirit that beareth witness, be40. And with many other caute the Spirit is Truth. Words did he testify and ex
7. For there are three that bear hort, saying, Save your felves Record in Heaven, the FATHER,
the Word), and the Holy Ghost: from this untoward Genera- and thefe three are ONE. tion.
8. And there are three that bear 41. Then they that gladly witness in Earth, the Spirit, and received his Word, were these three agree in one.
: baptized : And the same Rev. xxii. 17. And the Spirit Day there were added unto
and the BRIDE fay, Come. And them about three thousand And let him that is ATHIRST,
let him that heareth, say, Comc. Souls.
come : And whosoever will, let 42. And they continued him take the WATER of LIFE
freely. fedfastly in the Apostles Doctrine and Fellowship, See the References to the cxxxixib and in breaking of BREAD, Psalm, pag. 52, 6c in the Harmoand in PRAYERS.
ny of the PS ALMS: 43. And Fear came upon every Soul: and many WONDERS and Signs were done by the APOSTLES.
44. And all that believed were together, and had al THINGS COMMON.
45. And sold their possessions and Goods, and parted them to all Men, as every Man had need.
46. And they continuing daily with one accord in the Temple, and breaking Bread from House to House, did eat their Meat with GLADNESS and Singleness of Heart,
47. PRAISING God, and having Favoue with all the People. And the Lord ADDED to the Church daily fuch as should be SAVED.
CH A P. III.
1. Peter preaching to the People that came to see a lame
Man restored to bis Feet ; 12. profeseth the Cure 1200 to have been wrought by his, or John's own Power, or Holiness, but by God, and his Sair JESUS CARIST, and through Faith in bis Name : 13. withal reprebending them for crucifying Jesus, 17. Whick because they did it through Ignorance, and that thereby were
fulfilled God's determinate Corinfel, and the Scrip tures; 19. He exhorteth them by Repentance and Faith, to seek Remission of their Sins, and Salvation in the same Jesus.
OW Peter and John went up together into
the Temple, at the Hour of Prayer, being the ninh Hour.
2. And a certain Man, lame from his Mother's Womb, was carried, whom they laid daily at the Gate of the Temple, which is called Beautiful, to ask Alms of them that entred into the Temple.
ş. Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the Temple, asked an Alms.
4. 'And Peter faltning his Eyes upon him, with Joha, said, Look on us.
5. And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them.
6. Then Peter said, Silver and Gold have I none; but such as I have, give I thee : In the Name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, RISE up and walk.
7. And he took him by the right Hand, and lift him UP; and immediately his Feet and Ankle-bones received Strength.
8. Ard he leaping up, stood, and walked, and entred with them into the Temple, walking and leaping, and PRAISING God.
9. And all the People saw him walking and praifing God.
10. And they knew that it was he which fat for Alms at the beautiful Gate of the Temple: and they were filed with Wonder and Amazement at that which had hapned unto him,
11. And as the lame Man which was healed, held Poter and folon, all the People ran together unto them ia che Porcá that is called Solomon's, greatly wondring.
17. And when Peter saw it, he answered unto the People, Ye Men of Israel, why marvel ye at this ? or why Icok ye fo earnestly on us, as though by our own Power or HOLINESS, we had made tbis Man to walk ?
13. The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Juçob, the God of our FATHERS hath GLORIFIED his Son Ff25; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the Preferice of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go.
14. But ye DENIED the Holy One, and the Just, and defired a Murderer to be granted unto you.
15. And KILLED the PRINCE of Life, whom God hath R AISED from the DEAD; whereof we are Witnesses.
16. And his Name, through faith in his NAME, hath made this Man strong, whom ye fee and know : Yea, the Faith which is by him, hath given him this perfect Soundness in the Presence of .
17. And now, Brethren, I wot that through Ignorance ye did it, as did also your Rulers:
18. But those Things which God before had shewed by. the Mouth of all his Prophets, that Christ should sufFER, he hath so FULFILLED.
19. REPENT ye therefore and be CONVERTED, that your Sins may be BLOTTED OUT, when the Times of Refreshing shall come from the Presence of the Lord,
20. And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
21. Whom the Heaven must receive, until the Times of RESTITUTION of all Things, which God hath spoken by the Mouth of all his uoly PROPHETS, fince the World began.
22. For Mofes truly said unto the Fathers, * A PRO
See Deut. xviii. 15. PHET Shall the Lord your God RAISE up unto you, of your Brethren, like unto me, him Shall ye hear in all Things whatsoever he shall say unto you.
23. And it shall come to pass, that every Soul which will not hear that Prophet, Shall be destroyed from among the People.
24. Yea, and all the Prophets from Samuel, and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewife foretold of these Days.
25. Ye are the Children of the Prophets, and of the Covenant which God made with our Fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy Seed shall all the KINDREDS of the Earth be BLESSED.
26. Unto you firft, God having RAISED up his Son Fesz!s, fent him to bless you, in TURNING Away every one of you from his INIQUITIES.
c H A P.
CH A P. IV.
1. The Rulers of the Jews offended with Peter's Sermon,
4. (though thousands of the People were converted,
ND as they spake unto the People, the Priests
and the Captain of the Temple, and the Sadducees came upon them,
2. Being grieved that they taught the People, and preached through Felus the ResurrECTION from the Dead. g. And they laid Hands on them,
and put them in Hold unto the next Day: for it was now Even-ride.
4. Howbeit, many of them which heard the Word, believed ; and the Number of the Men was about FIVE THOUSAND.
5. And it came to pass on the Morrov, that their Rulers, and Elders, and Scribes,
6. And Ansias the High Priest, and Caiaphas, and Fobn, and Alexander, and as many as were of the Kindred of the High Priest, were gathered together at JeraSalem.
7. And when they had set them in the midst, they asked, By what Power, or by what Name have ye done this?
8. Then Peter FILLED with the Holy GHOST, said unto them, Ye Rulers of the People, and Elders of Ifrasl;
9. If we this Day be examined of the Good Deed dose to the impotent Man, by what Means he is made whole;
10. Be it known unto you all, and to all the People of Ifrael, that by the Name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye CRUCIFIED, whom God RAISED from the DEAD, even by him doth this Man stand here before you whole,
II. This * is the Stone
* See Psal. cxviii. 22. which was set at nought of you Builders; which is become the Head of the Corner.
12. Neither is there SALVATION in any other : for there is none other NAME under Heaven given among Men, whereby we must be saved.
13. Now when they saw the Boldness of Peter and Fobn, and perceived that they were unlearned, and ignorant Men, they marvelled, and they took Knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.
14. And beholding the Man which was healed, standing with them, they could say nothing against it.
15. But when they had commanded them to go afide out of the Council, they conferred among themselves,
16. Saying, What hall we do to these Men ? For that indeed a notable MIRACLE hath been done by them, is manifeft to all them that dwell in Jerusalem, and we cannot DENY it.
17. But that it spread no further among the People, let us straitly threaten them, that they speak henceforth to no Man in this Name.
18. And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all, nor Teach in the Name of Jesus.
19. But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the Sight of God, to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye.
20. For we cannot but speak the Things which we have feen and heard.
21. So when they had further threatned them, they let them go, finding nothing how they might punish them, because of the People: For all Men glorified God for that which was done.
22. For the Man was above forty Years old, on whom this Miracle of Healing was shewed.
23. And being let go, they went to their own Company, and reported all that the Chief Priests and Elders had said unto them.
24. And when they heard that, they lift up their Voice to (God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God which haft made Heaven and Earth, and the Sea, and all that in them is :
25. Who by the Mouth of thy Servant David haft said, Why * did the Heathen rage, and the People imagine vain
See Psal. ii. 1. Things?