Imágenes de páginas

duties of his profession. In 1774, such was the esteem he was held in by his fellow-townsmen, that, although then but 25 years of age, he was elected a delegate to the congress which assembled at Philadelphia. He remained in congress until 1776, when he signed the instrument which declared us independent of foreign control. In 1779, Mr. Rutledge was again sent to congress, and in 1780, on the investment of Charleston, was taken prisoner by the British, and detained for nearly a year. After his release, he actively followed his professional business until 1798, when he was elected chief magistrate of South Carolina. This situation he held but a short time ; for a severe illness terminated his life on the 23d of Jan., 1800, in the 51st year of his age.

R OG ER SHERM AN, Was born at Newtown, near Boston, on the 19th of April, in the year 1721. The family of Mr. Sherman was good, but by misfortunes became so redu. ced, that he was bred a shoemaker, at which business he worked until he was twenty-two years of age. After he left his trade, he opened a small store, and studied law at the same time he was engaged with merchandise. In 1754 he was admitted to the bar, and was shortly after elected a member of the legislature of Connecticut. In a few years, he was promoted to the bench of the court of common pleas, and afterwards to that of the superior court of the state. In 1775 he was elected a member of the continental congress, where he became so conspicuous, that he was appointed one of the committee for drafting the declaration of independnnce, to which instrument he cheerfully affixed his signature. Mr. Sherman continued an active member of congress until the adoption of the federal constitution, during which time he was an able advocate of all the great leading doctrines of the day. He died on the 25th of July, 1793, in the 72d year of his age.

JAMES SMITH, Was born in Ireland, but would never give the date of his birth. He received his education under the care of Dr. Allison, after which he began the study of the law, and on the frontiers of Pennsylvania commenced his professional life. He was sent as a delegate to congress in 1776, and when the declar. ation of independence was brought forward, he was among the foremost to affix his signature to it. Mr. Smith remained a member of congress for several years: but he withdrew from that body, and resumed his profession, in which he continued until the year 1800, when he left the bar, and all professional practice, having been an active lawyer for sixty years. He died in 1806.

RICHARD STOCKTON, Was born near Princeton, in New Jersey, on the 1st of Oct. 1730. His preliminary studies being finished, he entered Princeton college, from which he graduated in 1748. On leaving college, he studied law with David Ogden, and rose rapidly at the bar. In 1767, he retired from professional life, for the purpose of visiting England, and during his tour through that kingdom, he received every attention from the great and the learned. The following year he returned to his native country, and was appointed one

of the judges of the province, and a member of the executive council. In 1776, he was sent to the con tinental congress, and arrived there early enough to take a share in the debates upon the subject of independence, and to affix his name to that instrument. In the fall of 1776, Mr. Stockton, in conjunction with George Clymer, was sent to inspect the northern army, which was then in a bad condition. On his return home, he was taken prisoner, and treated with much cruelty ; congress interfered, and ordered Gen, Washington to take proper steps for his reliel; this was done ; but his constitution was broken by his confinement, and he continued to languish for several years, when he died on the 28th of Feb. 1781, in the 53d year of his age.

THOMAS STONE, A native of the state of Maryland, was born in 1740, and became distinguished as a politician in 1774. He was a lawyer and a man of talent. He was elected a member of congress in 1775; and in the following year he had the honour of recording his name on the declaration of independence ; and was also a member of the committee appointed to draft articles of confederation. He lest congress shortly after, and took a part in the councils of his own state. In 1783, he was again returned to congress, and the next year was president pro tempore, of that body. After this, he left politics, and returned to the bar, where he became more and more distinguished; but he did not live long to enjoy his fame, for he died on the 5th of Oct., 1787, in the 45th year of his age.

Was an Irishman, and was born in the year 1716.

His education was good, but he came to this country poor. He at first had recourse to manual labour for support, then became a clerk, and alterwards married his employer's widow, and became possessed of considerable property in iron works, which he managed judiciouly. Before the stamp act, he was a member of the legislature of Pennsylvania, and showed talents for business in a deliberative assembly. In 1776, Mr. Taylor was sent to the continental congress; and, though not until the question of the declaration of independence had been voted upon, yet he had an opportunity of affixing his name to the instrument, as sent to the world. The next year, Mr. Taylor retired from congress, and removed to the state of Delaware. He died on the 23d of Feb., 1781, in the 65th year of his age.

MATTHEW THORNTON, Was born in Ireland, in 1714, but came to this country with his parents, when only two or three years old. His father first settled at Wiscassett, in Maine, but soon removed to Worcester in Massachusetts. Mr. Thornton had a good academical education, and then commenced the study of physic. In 1745, he was appointed surgeon of the New Hampshire troops in the famous expedition against Louisburg. Under the royal government, he was appointed a justice of the peace, and commissioned as colonel of militia. In 1776, he was chosen a delegate from New Hampshire to the continental congress, and took a bold stand with those who saw nothing could be done until a declaration of independence was made. During the same year, he was made chief justice of the court of common pleas, and was soon after raised to the supreme bench of the state. He expired whilst on a visit to his friends in Massachusetts, on the 24th of June, 1803, in the 89th year of his age.

GEORGE WALTON, Was born in Frederick county, Virginia, in the year 1740. He was brought up a mechanic, but possessing a fine mind, found means to improve it. When he was of age, he removed to Georgia, and commenced the study of the law. In 1776, Mr. Walton was elected a member of the continental congress, in which body he continued some time, and cheersully signed the declaration of independence. In 1778, he was appointed a colonel of militia, and was present at the surrender of Savannah to the British. During the defence of that place, Col. Walton was wounded, and made prisoner by the enemy and was detained until 1779. In Oct., 1779, Mr. Walton was elecied governor of the state, which office he twice Silled; and for fifteen years, until the time of his death, he was a judge of the superior courts. He died on the 2d of Feb., 1803, in the 64th year of his age.

WILLIAM WHIPPLE, Was born at Kittery, in Maine, in the year 1730. He was educated at one of the common schools in his native town, after which he followed the seas for several years. In 1759, he commenced business as a merchant,'at Portsmouth, New Hampshire. In 1775, he was chosen a representative from Portsmouth to the provincial congress, and in 1776, was elected by that body as a member of the continental congress,

« AnteriorContinuar »