« AnteriorContinuar »
1592-95. National Galleries.
Lot 2351. A superb copy of Walton's Angler
Of what may be called Belles Lettres, or General
10. Addison's Works. Baskeville's Edition.
go. Lord Bacon's Works, &c. India Paper.
376–7. Don Quixote. 4 vols., 4to.
Natural History is largely represented, and in-
81. Audubon's Birds of America. Folio.
667. Elliott's Birds of North America.
The collection of Poetry and the DRAMA will not be found so complete in original editions as some other departments. The first editions of
- The Fairie Queenc, Old Geffrey, Sidney, Drayton, Randolph, Greene,
The double Beaumonde, Drummond, Browne," * are “conspicuous by their absence; ” but such absence is well recompensed in many instances by the beautiful reprints of Pickering and others; and, for an ordinary library, there is surely enough. We instance
226. Anne Bradstreet's Poems. First Edition. 1651. 245. British Poets. 130 vols. Large Paper. 324. Byron's Works. Large Paper. 10 vols. 4to. 512. Longfellow's Danté. On India Paper. One of three copies
printed. 592. Doran's Annals of the Stage. Extended to 5 vols. 1030. Homer. Translated by Chapman. Folio. 1616. 1117. Ireland's New York Stage. On Drawing Paper. One of
two copies. 1184. Ben Jonson's Works. Folio. 1438. Massinger. By Gifford. 4 vols., 8vo. 1813. 1475. Middleton. By Dyce. 6 vols. 1840. 1482. Milton's Poems. First complete edition. 1673. 1776. Aldine Poets. 57 vols. Uncut.
1991. Miss Seward's Monody on Major André. 410. 2001. Shakespeare. White's, Knight's, Singer's, and other editions. 2014. Shakespeare Society Publications. 18 vols , 8vo. Tree calf. 2037. Shirley's Dramatic Works. 6 vols. Large Paper. 2041. Sibbald's Scottish Poetry. 4 vols., crown 8vo. 2159. Sterling's Recreations with the Muses. Folio. 1637. 2203. Suckling's Works. 1709. 2327. Voltaire's La Pucelle. Translated. 2547. Phillis Wheatley's Poems. 1773.
History in general is represented by
21. Alison's Europe. 23 vols., 8vo. 737. Finlay's Historical Works. 7 vols. 871. Grote's Greece. Best Edition. 12 vols., 8vo. 1374. Macaulay's Works. 14 vols., 8vo., on India Paper. 1866. 1603. Lord Nelson's Dispatches. 7 vols., 8vo. 1692. Oxford Classics. Consisting of Hume, Smollett, Gibbon,
Robertson, Johnson, &c. 46 vols., 8vo. calf, gilt. A
beautiful set. 2197. Strickland's Queens of England, 2205. Sully's Memoirs. 2 vols., folio. 2251. Thomson's Magna Charta.
But the chief feature and crowning glory of this Library is the almost unequalled collection of AMERICANA.
This department, although the last formed, is, in many respects, the most complete. It properly forms a part of the history of the formation of this Library to remark that Mr. Rice, through our agency, in the year 1866, became the purchaser, at a cost of fourteen thousand dollars, of the entire library of Americana formed by Mr. John F. McCoy, of New York, which, for its size, was one of the best within our knowledge. Since that time, Mr. Rice's purchases have been mostly in this direction; and after this sale, he expects to reenter the lists as a buyer of books of this class. Included in this department are many specimens of early printing in this country, by Samuel and Benjamin Green, William Bradford, Benjamin Franklin, James Franklin, and others.
Among the books in this division, we enumerate the following Lots as being of special merit, either for their beauty or rarity :
3. Acosta's West Indies. Black Letter. 23. Allen's Captivity. 1779. 46. André's Cow Chace. 1780. 75. Ash's Carolina. 1682. 204. Boston Massacre Orations. 217–18. Braddock's Expedition. 224. Bradford Club Books. A complete set. 274. Budd's Pennsilvania. 4to. 1685. 277. Bullock's Virginia. 1649. 292. Burk’s Virginia. 4 vols., 8vo. 319. Byfield's Revolution in New England. 410. 1689. 337. Callender's Rhode Island. 1739. 357. Case of Protestants in Carolina, 1706. 442. Clarke's Bunker Hill. 1775. 490. Cotton's Bloody Tenant. 410. 1647. 499. Creuxius’ Canada. 4to. 1664. 518. Davenport's God's Call to His People. Cambridge, 1669. 552. Delavall and Keith. 410. Philadelphia, 1693. 662. Eliot's Indian Bible. First Edition. 4to. 1663. 664. Eliot's Tears of Repentance. 4to. 1653. 683. Buccaneers of America. 690. Evans’ Map of the Colonies. 1755. 718. Federalist. First Edition, Uncut. 1788. 733. Filson's Kentucky Ilustrated Copy. 1784.