Imágenes de páginas


At Chase, we understand how upsetting these circumstances are for you and we want to help. First, Chase will work with you every step of the way to resolve your situation at Chase. Second, we will assist you as you work with the credit bureaus and other key agencies to restore your good name.

We also recognize that people never really expect this sort of thing to happen to them, and you are probably wondering what you should do now. For that reason, we have prepared this Help Kit.

In the "What To Do Now" section of this kit, we provide you with:

[ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors]

The names and contact information for key agencies, including the major credit bureaus

Other important contacts you may need to make (with investment and credit card companies, the
Department of Motor Vehicles, etc.)

A checklist to help you keep track of the contacts you've made

Samples of letters you will likely need to send to the credit bureaus and credit card companies to begin the process of disputing charges or accounts

In addition, we share some information with you about how identity theft can occur, since at this point you may not know how someone may have stolen your identity. Unfortunately, there are many ways that identity thieves can obtain your personal information and we've outlined some of the more common ways in the section "How Identity Theft Can Occur."

Finally, because you will want to protect yourself as much as you can in the future, we've included some tips on protecting your personal information in the section titled "What To Do Going Forward."

We hope that the information provided in this kit will be helpful to you. And, of course, your Chase representative is here to help you through this process.

What To Do Now

Now that you suspect that someone may have stolen your identity, you have already taken the first important step of contacting your Chase customer service representative. Chase will work with you every step of the way to resolve your situation at Chase. Below we have outlined additional steps that you can take to help restore your good name. Please note: You may want to use the Action Taken Form on page 6 to document the steps you've taken.



There may be some additional information that your Chase representative needs in order to help you. Please review the letter that you received with this kit carefully. If you have any questions, please call the number that is included in the letter you received with this kit.

Key Agencies to Contact

You will probably want to start by contacting the major credit bureaus, your local police department and the
Federal Trade Commission. The contact information for each is below.

1. Start by contacting the fraud departments of each of the three major credit bureaus. The credit bureaus maintain reports that track the credit accounts that have been opened in your name and how you pay your bills. You should call first and then follow up in writing (see sample letter on page 7.)

[blocks in formation]

b. Request a victim's statement asking that creditors call you before opening any new accounts or
changing your existing accounts.


Ask for copies of your credit reports. Credit bureaus must give you a free copy of your report if your report is inaccurate because of fraud.

[ocr errors]

Review the report carefully to make sure that no additional fraudulent accounts have been opened or unauthorized changes made.

[ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors]

Check the inquiry section of the report. When "inquiries" appear from companies that opened fraudulent accounts, request the "inquiries" be removed from your report.

In a few months, order a new copy of your credit report to verify your corrections and changes.

After reviewing your credit report, you may find that accounts were opened in your name at other banks or lenders. Call the company where the account was opened to report fraudulent accounts, then follow up in writing. Include copies (not originals) of documents that support your position. A sample dispute letter can be found on page 7.

2. File a report with your local police or the police in the community where the identity theft took place. Even if the police are unable to catch the thief, having a copy of the police report can help you in dealing with creditors.


[ocr errors]

Obtain a copy of the Police Report in case your bank, credit card company or others need proof of the


3. Contact the Federal Trade Commission's Identity Theft Hotline at 1-877-IDTHEFT (1-877-438-4338). The FTC will put your information into a secure consumer fraud database and may, in appropriate instances, share it with other law enforcement agencies.

Other Important Contacts

You will probably want to take several additional steps to ensure that your accounts are secure. You should review transactions on credit account statements (including credit cards, home equity loans, etc.), bank accounts, investment accounts, and telephone. If you suspect that an identity thief may have tampered with any of these accounts, key contact information is detailed below.

TIP: Check your mail carefully,


f you receive statements for accounts you do not have, contact the creditor. An identity thief may have opened an account in your name.

If you do not receive statements from any of your usual accounts (including credit, banking and investment), contact the company immediately. An identity thief may have submitted a change of address in order to redirect your statements to a different location.

If you do not receive any mail, contact the post office. An identity thief may have falsified a change of address to redirect your mail to a different location.

1. Credit - Contact creditors, which can include credit card, phone and other utility companies and banks and other lenders.

If an identity thief has tampered with an existing account or opened an account fraudulently:

Ask to speak with someone in the company's security or fraud department and follow up with a letter. NOTE: It is important to notify credit card companies in writing as that is the consumer protection procedure the law (Fair Credit Billing Act) spells out for resolving errors on credit card billing statements. A sample dispute letter can be found on page 8.

Close accounts that have been tampered with and open new ones with new Personal Identification
Numbers (PINs) and passwords.

If an identity thief has changed the billing address on an existing credit card account:

[ocr errors][merged small]
[ocr errors]

When you open a new account, ask that a password be used before any inquiries or changes be made.
Avoid using easily available information for a password like a date of birth, Social Security number, etc.

2. Bank Accounts - If an identity thief has tampered with your savings or checking account or ATM card, close the account immediately. Open a new account and ask that a password be used to obtain any information (and avoid using easily available information, e.g., your birth date, for a password.) If your checks were stolen or misused, either place a stop payment on the range of missing checks or close the account. Also, contact the major check verification companies to request that they notify retailers using their database.

[blocks in formation]

3. Investments - If an identity thief has tampered with your securities, investments or brokerage account, immediately report it to your broker or account manager and to the Securities and Exchange Commission. 4. Telephone Service - If an identity thief has established a new phone service (including cellular) in your name and is making unauthorized calls, contact your service provider immediately to cancel the account. If you have trouble getting fraudulent phone charges removed from your account, contact your state Public Utilities Commission for local service or the Federal Communications Commission for long distance service providers.

5. Stolen Mail - If an identity thief has stolen your mail to obtain credit or falsified change of address forms, that's a crime. Report it to your local postal inspector. You can learn how to contact your local postal inspection service office by contacting your local post office or by visiting the United States Postal Service online at

6. Employment - If you believe someone is using your Social Security number to apply for a job or to work, contact the Social Security Fraud Hotline at 1-800-269-0271. You can also contact the Social Security Department at 1-800-772-1213 to verify the accuracy of the earnings reported on your Social Security number and to request a copy of your Social Security statement.

7. Driver's License – If you suspect your name is being used by an identity thief to get a driver's license or ID card, contact your Department of Motor Vehicles.




Use this form to record the steps you've taken to report the fraudulent use of your identity.

[blocks in formation]

Banks, investment Companies, Credit Card Issuers and Other Creditors (Contact each creditor promptly to protect your legal rights) Address & Phone Number


Date Contacted

Contact Person


[blocks in formation]
« AnteriorContinuar »