« AnteriorContinuar »
takings in both direct Federal and federally assisted programs. The number of total and partial takings are as follows:
The greatest number of partial takings occurred in the federally assisted programs. They occurred largely under the Federal-aid highway programs, and were evident in both rural and urban areas, with most occurring in rural areas.
The number of ownerships acquired in whole or in part was somewhat greater in rural areas than in urban areas. The breakdown was as follows:
Most of the ownerships were acquired under the federally assisted programs for highways, urban renewal, and public housing.
C. MAGNITUDE OF FUTURE ACQUISITIONS
Data presented below show the magnitude of future acquisitions. They are based upon reasoned estimates by Federal agencies that have acquired or assisted in acquiring real property. The data probably understate the magnitude of future acquisitions since they do not account for emerging programs necessitating such acquisitions and for which reasoned estimates of future acquisitions cannot now be made. Examples of programs not reflected in the data below are acquisitions that will occur under the Urban Mass Transportation Act of 1964 and under the Land and Water Conservation Fund Act of 1965.
Acreage of land expected to be acquired per year in the future totals 1.7 million acres, with approximately 1 million acres of this amount being in fee. Both constitute an increase over past acquisitions. As in the past, the acreage acquired under direct Federal programs exceeds that acquired under federally assisted programs.
Compensation payments per year expected in the future total $1.6 billion, also an increase over previous years. Slightly more than $1.1 billion will be Federal funds and slightly less than $0.5 billion will be State and local funds, as shown below:
As in the immediate past, most of the expenditures for compensation are expected to be made for real property acquired in urban areas. Further, most of the increase in compensation payments for the future will result from increased acquisitions in urban areas. Compensation payments per year expected by areas and by programs are as follows:
Number of ownerships expected to be acquired per year in whole or in part will increase to approximately 183,000. Increased acquisitions will occur under both the direct Federal programs and the federally assisted programs. The major portion of the increased acquisitions will be partial takings. The number of total and partial takings expected per year for the future are as follows:
Ownerships expected to be acquired
30, 660 152, 340
The number of ownerships expected to be acquired in whole or in part per year in the near future will average 75,370 for urban areas and 107,630 for rural areas. A breakdown of the expected acquisitions is as follows:
Real property acquisition under Federal and federally assisted programs will increase substantially in the future years. All major indices provided by the Federal agencies to show the magnitude of real property acquisition show increases. These findings are shown in the following summary table on acquisitions per year for the past and for the future as described in the first section of this chapter.
E. MAGNITUDE OF HUMAN DISRUPTION EXPECTED FROM FUTURE
As in the case of past acquisitions, future acquisitions will cause disruptions in a variety of ways. The data below present four types of measures of expected disruption : (1) families and individuals to be displaced, (2) businesses and nonprofit organizations to be displaced, (3) farm operating units to be displaced or caused to incur expenses in moving or realining personal property, and (4) total number of displaced dwelling units, businesses, farms, and property owners directly affected by acquisitions. These data are based on reasoned estimates by agencies administering the direct Federal or federally assisted programs.
Families and individuals to be displaced from their dwelling units by acquisition in the future will average approximately 111,080 per year. "Some 67,750 of these, or 61 percent, will be nonowner occupants of the dwellings from which they are to be displaced. The remaining 43,330, or 39 percent of the occupants of the dwellings to be displaced, will be owners. The expected displacement of owners and nonowners from households by direct Federal and federally assisted programs will be as follows:
Businesses and nonprofit organizations to be displaced will number approximately 17,860 per year. Of these, 9,340, or approximately 52 percent, will be nonowner occupants of the real property. The other 8,520, or approximately 48 percent, will be owner occupants of the real property.
Businesses and nonprofit organizations
to be displaced per year
290 9, 050
690 17, 170
Farm operating units to be displaced or caused to incur expenses in moving or realining personal property will number approximately 3,660 per year. Approximately 2,890, or 79 percent of these, will be owner occupied. Most of the displacements will occur in the direct Federal programs. Those reported for the federally assisted programs are almost entirely highway takings in which the farm is not fully displaced, but instead, will be caused to incur some expense in moving or realining personal property of the farm operating unit. The breakdown of data for farm operating units is as follows:
The total number of dwelling units, businesses, and farms displaced (including farm operations not actually displaced, but caused to incur expense in moving personal property) will provide a meaningful measure of human disruption. These will number, in the future, 132,600 per year. The following table provides a breakdown of the expected displacements by number and percentage of owners and tenants.
Tenants to be displaced from
Of the total displacements, 77,860 per year, or 59 percent, will be displacements of tenants-persons who do not own the property they occupy. Few in this large group comprising three-fifths of all displacees will share in compensation payments made for real property they rent. Displaced owners are expected to number 54,740 per year and constitute 41 percent, or about two-fifths, of all displacements.